Monday, June 15, 2009

Into The Wild

My Sunday drive through the northern part of BC was spectacular. I took the Stewart-Cassiar Highway north to connect to the Alaska Highway which took me west to Whitehorse. I can't even begin to describe to you what that Cassiar is like. There were 100 kilometer stretches without anything (except jaw dropping views). I am glad I had an idea of what it was going to be like. I gassed up my car at every chance I had. Lots of trucks (semi and pickup), lots of trees, lots of water and lots of wildlife (bugs included in that categroy). It is still early and while everyting is way more lush than I expected, the mountain rangers still have snow on them.

I saw 5 bears yesterday! Two were together (siblings) and I got a video of one.



"You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream."
~ Les Brown

1 comment:

  1. Jess,

    I was flipping through your blog (your most recent post on facebook caught my eye - very insightful) and saw your pics from the Cassiar. I did this drive from Flag to Fairbanks (and back) in the summer of 06 and your pics/post reminded me of the trip. We were on the Cassiar in late May and everything was brown/frozen. At one point, we hadn't seen anyone for four hours and then a wolf ran right in front of the truck. Amazing. We also had some delays because the gas station at the southern tip of the Cassiar was closed for the evening and we had to wait until morning to gas up (and fill up the extra canister) before heading north. What an amazing experience, I can't imagine making the trek solo.

    I hope you're enjoying your summer up North and thanks for sharing your adventures!

    Take care,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete