Monday, October 5, 2009

Home Is Where The Heart Is

Since this is the case, my heart is bi-coastal and international. Having grown up in Canada and the US, my friends and family are everywhere in between. But first and foremost I have found that it is where I am. Where my head lays to rest and my dreams manifest.

You may think that after years away, there would be some sadness in returning to a childhood home that sat relatively unopened. Locked. After much time, harsh cold winters, and divorce....the house is oddly full of life. Of love. I remember being saddened the first time I returned 4 years ago after have been away since high school. But when I cross the threshold this time, there were no tears. Why cry over spilt milk? I am now comforted, calmed by a structure and by property that is priceless in my eyes. Rich with memories, not to mention water front views.

Returning now as an adult, I appreciate all the hard work it took to make that house a home. All the work my Mom and Dad did. I only wish that we could all return together to coo at someting that makes up a huge part of what we were....who we are.

I am so thankful for all that was done by my parents to make my childhood epic. Warm. Safe.


I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.
~ Maya Angelou

1 comment:

  1. amazing how when we get older and take a look back...parents are amazing people...from giving you support/love every day to teaching you incredible life lessons.

    ReplyDelete