Monday, October 12, 2009

Giving Thanks

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada. Sitting here at the kitchen table, I am presently thankful for the bright sunlight bursting through the trees on this clear and cold -8* c (17.6* f) morning. The glow is a wonderful sign of a much 'warmer' afternoon.

Thanksgiving is not as big in Canada as it is in the lower 49. I was invited to and attended a couple of dinners over the weekend, and am reminded of how thankful I am for a plate full of turkey, stuffing, and the rest. I made and brought a pecan pie to both suppers, which I found out is a very American tradition.

It has been over 10 years since I was here for this holiday. No matter the amount of time that passes or my proximity, I find there are a few things I am consistently thankful for; my family, friends and good health.

I am one very lucky girl, who knows that luck has little to do with it. You can't win loving parents by playing scratchers at the Seven Eleven or throw a healthy heart in craps. For this, I try not to take them for granted and remember that unlike poker, my family, friends and health are things I am not willing to gamble.


“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.”

~ Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment